The Hotel Telluride Blog
Welcome to The Hotel Telluride Blog
We wanted to give you a place to share your favorite memory of The Hotel Telluride or experience in Telluride. Read, post, share and become part of the community.
Telluride is a special town, no question about it! So, we thought we might try to surprise you with some of the less known facts about Telluride! Please feel free to respond to this blog if you want to try to surprise us with facts we might not know!
- Telluride has the only free gondola public transportation system of its kind in North America.
- At 9,078 feet above sea level, the Telluride Regional Airport is the highest commercial airport in North America.
- At the east end of Telluride, Bridal Veil Falls is Colorado's tallest free-falling waterfall at 365 feet.
- Ski Magazine rates Telluride Ski Resort in the Top 10 ski resorts in North America.
- Telluride Helitrax is Colorado's only helicopter ski company and has been in operation since 1982.
- Telluride was the first city in the world to have electric streetlights. Once called the “City of Lights,” the world's first alternating current (AC) power plant was built here.
- Butch Cassidy robbed his first bank in Telluride on June 24, 1889, walking away with over $24,000.
- The Galloping Goose's oldest bus, #101, runs on non-toxic, biodegradable, vegetable oil-based biodiesel fuel.
- There are no chain restaurants or shops in Telluride.
- The nearest stoplight is 45 miles away